Lemon Custard Pie
Serves 8 to 10
Lemon Snap Crust:
Makes one (9-inch) crust
Pie Crust Ingredients:
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups finely crushed MI-DEL® Lemon Snaps
- 5 tbsp. coconut oil or butter, melted
Pie Crust Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly spray a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
- In bowl, toss cookie crumbs with oil or butter. Press mixture into bottom and up sides of prepared pie plate. Bake until light golden, about 7 minutes (or about 10 minutes if using a no-bake filling). Cool completely before filling.
Lemon Custard Filling:
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup demerara sugar
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 8 tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 1 tbsp. finely grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- In heavy-bottomed saucepan, whisk together eggs, yolks, sugar, and lemon juice. Stir in butter. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a heat-proof rubber spatula, until mixture is thick enough to coat back of a spoon, about 10 minutes. (Do not allow mixture to come to a boil or it will curdle). Whisk in half-and-half; continue to stir over medium-low heat until thick, 3 to 5 minutes. Strain custard into bowl. Stir in zest.
- Cool lemon custard 15 minutes. Pour into prepared crust and smooth surface with spatula. Transfer pie to oven and bake until custard is firm around the edges but center jiggles slightly, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool pie to room temperature, then cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 3 hours or overnight.